fistula : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a chronic inflammation of the withers of a horse
- n an abnormal passage leading from a suppurating cavity to the body surface
- Cutler cured the girl's cervical fistula by flushing it with a caustic fluid.
- A fistula is an abnormal passage that burrows into another organ or to the outside of the body.
- There were no spectators to get in the surgeon's way as he operated on a rectal fistula one morning last week at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
News & Articles
- How Mobile Phones Can Improve Health Care
Obstetric fistula, an injury that occurs in unattended childbirth and causes incontinence, is among the most intractable challenges of extreme poverty.
June 12, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Thoraya Obaid in MarketWatch
The consequences of fistula are life shattering,said Thoraya Ahmed Obaid, Executive Director of UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund. "The baby often dies and the woman is left with chronic incontinence, greatly diminishing her...
- Natalie Imbruglia in Reuters South Africa
I met two women, one had fistula for 25 years and the other for 27 years, and now they have become advocates and I spoke with two other women who miraculously have decided to have the treatment after talking to them,Imbruglia said.
- Liya Kebede in World Health Organization (press release)
Obstetric fistula has been relatively neglected despite the devastating impact it has on the lives of girls and women in developing courtiers,says Liya Kebede. "I am thrilled and honored to be back in my native country to take part in the...