- n a member of a fire department who tries to extinguish fires
- n a belligerent grouch
- n a performer who pretends to swallow fire
- He was neither fire-eater nor spellbinder, but to the liberals he became something more useful.
- Charles Linza McNary, 66, Senator from Oregon for 23 years, is no fire-eater.
- NATO's champion fire-eater is Marshal Juin of France, commander of its Central European ground forces and one of the Allies' sharpest World War II fighting men.
News & Articles
- West Seattle, Ballard artists prepare for Bumbershoot
By Sarah Wyatt Decisions, decisions: watch a group of mariachi musicians, a nationally-acclaimed gospel choir, a 1980s “girl band,” a glass artist or a fire-eater? Is this an alternate universe? No, it’s Bumbershoot, the diverse annual arts event that takes over Seattle Center over Labor Day weekend. With artists representing a wide range of performing, visual and literary genres, the festival ...
Aug. 26, 2013 - West Seattle Herald
- Annabel Goldie in BBC News
The sword-swallower and the fire-eater, the man with the untearable tongue and the iron skull, the snake charmer and the living aquarium; Turks, pumpkin-men and female giants are there. And in addition to the strange foreigners, there are always... Ernst Bloch http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Bloch&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGBFOqwxnLVxMORTyi6M97YgILitg WELT ONLINE http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.welt.de/english-news/article2881232/Folk-Festivals-are-as-German-as-Goethe.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEuZ3x1Sk5nW5-hUAfAw2F_wCW-BA Dec 15, 2008
37600 48683 fire-raising Tory justice spokeswoman Annabel Goldie said: A crime is committed every 78 seconds, with a drug crime and act of vandalism or fire-raising every quarter of an hour, a violent attack every half-hour and an act of indecency every 80 minutes."