- n the cardinal number that is the sum of four and one
- n one of a pair of decorations projecting above the rear fenders of an automobile
- n one of a set of parallel slats in a door or window to admit air and reject rain
- n a shoe for swimming; the paddle-like front is an aid in swimming (especially underwater)
- n a stabilizer on a ship that resembles the fin of a fish
- n organ of locomotion and balance in fishes and some other aquatic animals
- v equip (a car) with fins
- v propel oneself through the water in a finning motion
- v show the fins above the water while swimming
The sharks were finning near the surface
- A 747 cannot be flown without its entire tail fin, which helps stabilize the big craft, and can be flown only with great difficulty without the attached rudder, which is moved to .
- The third car had a stabilizer fin on top, which did nothing to cure the Dymaxion's acute instability in crosswinds.
- He was a fin man.
News & Articles
- Barnes & Noble Recommends Selection for July 2013: Cathleen Schine’s Fin & Lady
Barnes & Noble, Inc. , the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced that Cathleen Schine’s Fin & Lady is the latest selection in the Barnes & Noble Recommends program.
June 17, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Deceased fin whale washes ashore near Ocean City
An adult male fin whale washed up dead about three miles south of the Ocean City beach approach late Wednesday afternoon, a rare occurrence for a whale usually found in deep waters. Marine researchers worked between tides Thursday to perform a necropsy on the massive 68-feet long whale. Cascadia Research Collective, which assisted the state Department of Fish and Wildlife with the exam, reported ...
June 15, 2013 - The Daily World
- Dead fin whale washes up on Ocean Shores beach
OCEAN SHORES — A 68-foot male fin whale washed ashore dead Thursday morning on the coast about four miles north of Ocean Shores. Cascadia Research Collective’s John Calambokidis says the whale likely died after being struck by a ship. The whale had evidence of blunt force trauma.
June 14, 2013 - The Wenatchee World
- Gregg Popovich in SI.com
It's great to see guys in the finals that haven't been there before,Popovich said. "Obviously we've got a few of those guys but Fin is the one who's been working longest at it so it's a real thrill to have him there. To try to complete it...
- Dan Haren in Forbes
I'm definitely not going to lay one in there,Haren said. "I'm going to try to make my pitches. I'll challenge him. It's not a situation where I'll put him on base if there's an open base. It should be a fin at-bat. It should be a fun...
- Tim Duncan in USA Today
It was awesome,Duncan said. "I loved watching it. Watching Manu do what he does was an incredible stretch to watch. Mike Fin has been playing unbelievable off the bench."