famine : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an acute insufficiency
- n a severe shortage of food (as through crop failure) resulting in violent hunger and starvation and death
- In the 1990s, a severe famine is thought to have left up to a million North Koreans dead.
- This time the threat of mass famine is less the caprice of cruel nature than the work of obstinate men.
- DISTANT THUNDERDirected and Written by SATYAJIT RAYSatyajit Ray's superb and achingly simple Distant Thunder concerns the famine in Bengal in 1943.
News & Articles
- ‘Feast or famine’ Lions split with Gators
<p>DURANT - Feast or famine.</p> <p>That is how Durant’s summer league head coach Kevin Farr describes the Lions offense.</p> <p>In game one of the double-header with ...
June 17, 2013 - Durant Daily Democrat
- Naked Rihanna Causes Chaos in Ireland, Gets Censored by Dublin Residents
Ireland is currently facing their greatest threat since the potato famine: Rihanna's boobs. And there aren't enough four-leaf clovers in the world to protect those lucky...
June 13, 2013 - E! Online
- Directors of the documentary 'A Place at the Table' appear at Rivertown Film
When you think of hunger, you might think of famine: images of starving children in Africa. But that's not what hunger looks like in America. Here, hunger looks like an overweight young girl in rural Mississippi who struggles with asthma. It looks like a 10-year-old in Colorado whose family relies on the charity of a church pantry to get food on the table. It looks like a single working mom in ...
June 11, 2013 - The Journal News
- Barack Obama in New York Times
Turning to global warming, Obama added, "We cannot accept the growing threat posed by climate change, which could forever damage the world that we pass on to our children -- sowing conflict and famine, destroying coastlines and emptying cities. And...
- Fidel Castro in Guardian Unlimited
The danger of a massive world famine is aggravated by Mr. Bush's recent initiative to transform foods into fuel,Castro wrote in Cuban news media, referring to US support for using corn and other food crops to produce gasoline substitutes.
- Jimmie Johnson in USA Today
It's feast or famine here for us,Johnson said. "I'm OK. The impact wasn't bad. The flames had me nervous there inside the car and I lost some eyelashes and the side of my face got pretty hot."