ergot : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a plant disease caused by the ergot fungus
- n a fungus that infects various cereal plants forming compact black masses of branching filaments that replace many grains of the plant; source of medicinally important alkaloids and of lysergic acid
- Doctors often use ergot extracts to start contractions in the uterus in childbirth.
- Not only might it injure the cause of pure ergot if such a suggestion got abroad, but he said that it would be triply unfortunate since: 1) He had been nominated for the Hanbury .
- Russian rye is subject to ergot rust.
News & Articles
- Farmers urged to check pastures for presence of ergot
Farmers with animals in pasture should check for their grass forages for the presence of ergot which can be toxic to cattle, sheep, swine and horses.
July 31, 2013 - Dairy Herd
- Coverage You Can Count On
BOONE COUNTY - Plant scientists warned Missouri cattle and horse owners of a fatal fungus that recently showed up in pastureland. Sicentists have spotted the fungus, Ergot, in many Missouri pastures. It has already killed four cows in 20-cow herd in northeast Missouri.
July 31, 2013 - KOMU Columbia