- n regional anesthesia resulting from injection of an anesthetic into the epidural space of the spinal cord; sensation is lost in the abdominal and genital and pelvic areas; used in childbirth and gynecological surgery
- a on or outside the dura mater
- On the one hand, an epidural can relax the laboring uterus just enough to allow a woman to push harder and more efficiently without suffering too much pain.
- A colorful--and often scarf-intensive--offshoot of the epidural-free childbirth movement, undulating workouts have been a hot topic on maternity blogs since last year's DVD release .
- Sample Dooce post: Five years ago at this exact moment a wall-eyed anesthesiologist was sticking an enormous needle in my back in order to administer an epidural.
News & Articles
As Deidra Stephens Clark’s due date approached, she made a straightforward birth plan that included a vaginal birth, an epidural for pain relief...
June 14, 2013 - The Memphis Daily News
- Jeff Fisher in USA Today
He was there to get an epidural injection in his back just so he could walk and practice that week,Fisher said. "Those types of stories are those that you have never heard of. You witnessed the moments on the field and the comebacks and...
- Tom Cruise in Sydney Morning Herald
Contrary to perceptions that Scientology frowns on giving painkillers to women in labour, Cruise added: "We're there, you know, with doctors. ...... whatever the woman wants. ...... If she needs an epidural, she's gonna get her epidural."
- Inzamam ul-Haq in The Age
He's gone to the doctor and he's taken injections today,Inzamam said. "Hopefully, with 72 hours rest, after that he is feeling well. He had an epidural in the back, hopefully he's alright in the first game."