- n a widespread outbreak of an infectious disease; many people are infected at the same time
- a (especially of medicine) of disease or anything resembling a disease; attacking or affecting many individuals in a community or a population simultaneously
an epidemic outbreak of influenza
- MANNERS MORALS The newest and noisiest college crazethe pantie raidreached the epidemic stage.
- The epidemic also took the lives of more than 100,000 people in the surrounding region.
- Diabetes is becoming an asian epidemic, and its victims are younger than ever.
News & Articles
- Minorities combat obesity epidemic
Obesity continues to be an epidemic especially in minority communities. A local couple is helping change those statistics.
June 14, 2013 - WBTV Charlotte
- Preven spread of porcine epidemic diarrhea
FARGO - North Dakota State University livestock specialists and state animal health officials are urging swine producers to prevent the spread of the porcine epidemic diarrhea (PED) virus to their herds.
June 14, 2013 - The Fargo Forum
- Disease Outbreak Threatens the Future of Good Coffee
A disease called coffee rust has reached epidemic proportions in Central America, threatening the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of farmers and the morning pick-me-up of millions of coffee drinkers.
June 14, 2013 - Wired News
- Barack Obama in AFP
The millions of gallons of oil that have spilled into the Gulf of Mexico are more like an epidemic, one that we will be fighting for months and even years,he warned.
- David Satcher in FOXNews
We have been inadequately funding this epidemic all along. We need to step it up,said former US Surgeon General Dr. David Satcher, who is now an administrator at Atlanta's Morehouse School of Medicine.