dorsal : Definition, Usages, News and More
- a belonging to or on or near the back or upper surface of an animal or organ or part
the dorsal fin is the vertical fin on the back of a fish and certain marine mammals
- a facing away from the axis of an organ or organism
- The ventral roots send information to the muscle; the dorsal roots send information back to the spinal cord.
- From this specimen's conical-shaped snout and peculiar coloring gray dorsal area, white underside and the size of the beast clearly longer than his 5.
- She's so stridently castrating that Stu's climactic display of spine kind of like the chestbuster scene from Alien, only dorsal is a given from the get-go.
News & Articles
- Teenage Fisherman Catches Monster Carp
Almost every lake has a tale of a legendary fish. David Swanson, 16, has actually seen one in Lake Garda, a private lake on the Farmington-Burlington town line. After spotting its huge tail and dorsal fins poking out of the …
June 24, 2013 - FOX CT Hartford
- Moshe Tendler in EurekAlert (press release)
But doing a dorsal block usually requires a pediatric urologist,Tendler adds, "so I recommend to mothers that they apply a 30 percent lidocaine ointment an hour before the bris [circumcision ceremony] to lessen the pain. It's important...
- Les Stroud in Jamaica Gleaner
Of facing sharks, Stroud says, "Look, I get it. You can rip me apart! I know that and you know that. I just want to touch your dorsal fin."
- Russell Banks in Montreal Gazette
As he gets close to it, Banks writes: "Toward the aft of the airship, where the hull narrowed slightly, four gigantic fins emerged, a dorsal fin and fin on either side and a keel-like fin from the belly, and as Jordan flew past them he saw the...