dissonant : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s characterized by musical dissonance; harmonically unresolved
- s lacking in harmony
- s not in accord
- Loud, sometimes dissonant but full of complicated rhythm and humor, Polaris is a dance-floor hit that sounds like nothing so much as a strange circus arriving in an even stranger .
- They characterize China's emergence as a "peaceful rise," a cuddly if rather dissonant phrase.
- The two statements, 11 weeks apart, are extravagantly dissonant.
News & Articles
- New Recordings
Guitarist Bill Frisell has created a sound all his own, fluid and languid at its core but capable of dissonant distortions and pointillistic precision, and he has flexible and eclectic tastes. In the last few years alone, he's released albums of John Lennon covers and abstract solo guitar improvisations; worked with folksinger Abigail Washburn, Brazilian singer Vinicius Cantuaria, and avant ...
June 16, 2013 - Philly.com
- Feminist Taylor Swift Twitter Made Our Day
The phrase “Feminist Taylor Swift” probably sounds a bit dissonant for a number of reasons we probably don’t have to go into but can touch on a bit, namely that her music (however catchy) tends to advance some particularly yucky and disempowering stereotypes, dichotomies, and general negative stuff. But now Feminist Taylor Swift is a... Read more » Feminist Taylor Swift Twitter Made Our Day is a ...
June 14, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- Barack Obama in Yahoo! News
Nothing can stand in the way of millions of Americans standing for change,Obama said. "We have been told we cannot do this by a chorus of cynics who will only grow louder and more dissonant in the weeks to come. We've been asked to pause...
- Dalton McGuinty in Toronto Star
I just don't see it as being somehow dissonant,said McGuinty. "We're going to appoint a new individual. This is a very qualified individual and he's looking very much forward to receiving the very best advice that the ombudsman can offer."
- Elliot Goldenthal in Los Angeles Times
Grand opera made it to the grand movie palaces with a grand-sounding score,Goldenthal says via phone from New York. "That trait carries on, whenever the producers are looking for a big, fat orchestral sound that is not dissonant, but has...