despairing : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v abandon hope; give up hope; lose heart
- s arising from or marked by despair or loss of hope
a despairing view of the world situation
the last despairing plea of the condemned criminal
- In day coaches on a train from New York City to Albany last week rode five despairing, middle-aged women put aboard by a noisy, demonstrative crowd of friends.
- He exposed the often misleading and selective use of scientific evidence by environmental pressure groups, urged us to be optimistic rather than despairing about environmental .
- But before despairing that some things never change, consider how much has.
News & Articles
- Millions of Iranians Head to Polls
(Photo: Hossein Razaqnejad/ Nasim Intl News Agency) Millions of Iranians are headed to the polls Friday to vote in the first presidential election since the highly controversial 2009 vote. Though many are despairing over a set of candidates which many say present "no alternative" to the conservatives and regime insiders who dominate Iranian politics, other reformist-minded Iranians are ...
June 14, 2013 - CommonDreams.org
- See Water Liars Soundtrack a Sad Striptease in 'Wyoming'
Back in February, Water Liars shared "Linens," a country tune well-versed in mid-life loneliness. Now, singer-guitarist Justin Kinkel-Schuster and drummer-vocalist Andrew Bryant have shared a quietly despairing video for "Wyoming," the title track off the balladeers' recently released sophomore album...
June 13, 2013 - Spin
- Malcolm Turnbull in Sydney Morning Herald
He is so despairing of his ability to find out the real facts: he is calling in the auditors,Mr Turnbull said. "There has been a complete collapse in confidence between the minister and the Defence Department."
- Nouri al-Maliki in Reuters UK
What makes us happy is the preparations we are seeing today -- a slap in the face of those who are betting that Iraqis will not go to the ballot boxes because they are despairing,said Maliki, who also faces a parliamentary election this year.
- Jeff Ooi in New York Times
The government doesn't have a clue how to handle bloggers,Mr. Ooi said in an interview. "If I were a dictator, I would be despairing. What do you do against this?"