- a of or relating to or characteristic of a czar
- More than 100 years ago, a czarist agent, Bishop Euspensy, hatched the scheme of wresting the Jerusalem patriarchate away from his church's liturgical twin, the Greek Orthodox .
- Congress needs to, must grab the reigns back from this czarist fool, before his quiet Putinesque riot becomes a national and international disaster from which we may never recover.
- Putin's reference on Sunday to "Little Russia" a term used during the Russian Empire to describe parts of modern-day Ukraine that came under czarist rule has raised hackles .
- Peter Tatchell in PinkNews.co.uk
Mr Tatchell said: "These attempts by the Russian state and religious leaders to suppress the right to protest are a throwback to the bad old days of czarist and communist totalitarianism." "The right to sexual self-determination and the right...
- Thomas Goltz in Today's Zaman
My heart aches at this repetitious history of Russian dominance and aggression, whether Czarist, Bolshevik or Oligarchic,said Thomas Goltz, a US expert on the Caucasus. "We can ask the question: Did Misha [Saakashvili] go too far or get...
- John McCain in TIME
The United States cannot enjoy a normal relationship, much less a partnership, with a country that increasingly appears to have more in common with its Soviet and czarist predecessors than with the modern state,US Senator John McCain said...