cutthroat : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n someone who murders by cutting the victim's throat
- s ruthless in competition
- The intercoastal steamship trade is a roughhouse, cutthroat business.
- The loosely connected skits conjured a seedy, hilariously cutthroat world in which there are two kinds of people: the one getting over and the ones getting gotten over on.
- It is a reference to the cutthroat trout he would like to catch (named for the red slash across its throat) and to the antithesis of the sort of businessman he is.
News & Articles
- Whitey Bulger described as 'hands-on killer'
If you lived in South Boston from the late 1970s through the mid-1990s, you either loved or loathed Whitey Bulger. He could be colorful and generous, or, if you were his enemy, it is said he could be cutthroat and cruel. On Wednesday, James "Whitey" Bulger finally stands trial, charged with murder in the killings of 19 people. The federal trial in Boston is expected to take up to three months ...
June 12, 2013 - KSAT San Antonio
- Yellowstone lifting limits on non-native fish
People fishing in Yellowstone National Park are now being encouraged to take non-native fish in some areas order to protect cutthroat trout and other native species.
June 12, 2013 - Montana Kaimin
- Hook Shot: 8-pound cutthroat trout and a smile to match
Hook Shot: 8-pound cutthroat trout and a smile to match Published Jun 7, 2013 03:26PM MDT Keith Lawrence sent in this shot of his son Derek holding an 8-pound cutthroat trout landed at Bear Lake this past may while they were staying with family and friends. Now that is a smile of accomplishment. Nice fish, Derek. Copyright 2013 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not ...
June 7, 2013 - The Salt Lake Tribune
- Derek Shaw in International Herald Tribune
Modern football is a cutthroat industry and is results based,Preston chairman Derek Shaw said. "Without an away win in the league this season, and with three away league wins in the whole of 2007, we felt we had to act now."
- Chris Redman in International Herald Tribune
I thought the NFL was a cutthroat business,Chris Redman joked Wednesday, coming off the field after a two-hour practice with the Atlanta Falcons. "Let me tell you, the insurance business is just as cutthroat."
- Andre Marin in 940 News
Marin says the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation bragged that it was a "global leader" until his investigation found it was "actually an arrogant, cutthroat agency with little regard for homeowners."