acetaldehyde : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a colorless volatile water-soluble liquid aldehyde used chiefly in the manufacture of acetic acid and perfumes and drugs
- Even more telling, the researchers found that for nicotine combined with acetaldehyde, a product of burning cigarettes, the rats would press 500 times in 12 hours as opposed to 120 .
- Her reasoning: although alcohol is not digested, most of it is oxidized first to acetaldehyde and then to acetate.
- Normally, this enzyme breaks down alcohol in the body to acetaldehyde, which another enzyme in turn breaks down to acetic acid.
News & Articles
- Scientists: Sprite the best hangover cure
Feeling the pain after a night out on the town? Reach for some Sprite, according to a new study. A team of Chinese scientists say the carbonated lemon-lime drink showed a markedly positive effect on hangover symptoms compared to more common remedies like herbal tea, which actually made them worse. According to the study, Sprite does the trick because of its ability to break down acetaldehyde, a ...
Oct. 10, 2013 - Local 6 Orlando
- Study: Sprite May Cure Hangovers
Study: Sprite May Cure Hangovers Health A study published in September by Chinese scientists revealed that Sprite may act as a cure for hangovers . The group of researchers from Sun Yat-Sen University in Gaungzhou found that hangovers are caused by acetaldehyde. This means that traditional cures like herbal tea, which increases the activity of ADH, could actually increase the effects of a ...
Oct. 10, 2013 - Opposing Views
- Sprite for Hangovers? Science Says Yes!
Your Sunday morning best friend might not actually be that greasy breakfast sandwich. Instead, you should grab a Sprite to help cure your hangover, according to a new study from China. Sprite for hangovers! So how does a carbonated lemon-lime soda help your aching head and tummy? Well, apparently Sprite was shown to curb hangovers because it helps stop acetaldehyde, a chemical byproduct of ...
Oct. 9, 2013 - Zimbio