abyssinian : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a small slender short-haired breed of African origin having brownish fur with a reddish undercoat
News & Articles
- Abyssinian Meeting House named as endangered
Portland's Abyssinian Meeting House is the nation's third-oldest standing African-American meeting house, used for religious, social, educational and cultural events until its closing in 1917. The church was built in 1828, and its members and preachers were outspoken advocates for the abolition of slavery and leaders of the Underground Railroad movement who actively concealed, supplied and ...
June 19, 2013 - WMTW Portland
- Photos: Most endangered historic places 2013
The Abyssinian Meeting House in Portland, Maine, was the spiritual center for the city's African-American community for generations.
June 19, 2013 - CNN
- Portland landmark put on endangered list
The Abyssinian Meeting House is one of 11 U.S. historic places identified by a preservation group.
June 19, 2013 - Portland Press Herald
- Cornel West in Earthtimes.org
I am blessed to be a part of this historic celebration of 200 years of love and service enacted by the great Abyssinian Baptist Church,said Dr. Cornel West, Professor of Religion and African-American Studies at Princeton University. "This...