abkhazia : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an autonomous province of Georgia on the Black Sea; a strong independence movement has resulted in much instability
News & Articles
- Global Independence Day: When do other countries celebrate their freedom?
The 4th of July is finally here, and you know what that means... it's Abkhazia's de facto Independence Day!
July 4, 2013 - Denver Post
- Depardieu accused of breaking Georgian law with Abkhazia trip
TBILISI (Reuters) - French-born actor Gerard Depardieu broke the law in Georgia by visiting the country's breakaway Abkhazia region and meeting separatist leaders without warning national authorities, an official said on Wednesday. Ketevan Tsikhelashvili, deputy minister for reintegration in the Caucasus state bordering Russia, said the action was punishable but signaled he was unlikely to face ...
July 3, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Georgia criticises Depardieu visit to breakaway region
Georgia said Wednesday that French movie star and new Russian citizen Gerard Depardieu had broken local law by visiting the Moscow-backed breakaway region of Abkhazia.
July 3, 2013 - Fox News
- Sergey Lavrov in USA Today
One can forget about any talk about Georgia's territorial integrity because, I believe, it is impossible to persuade South Ossetia and Abkhazia to agree with the logic that they can be forced back into the Georgian state,Russian Foreign...
- Condoleezza Rice in Washington Post
This is not an agreement about the future of Abkhazia and the future of South Ossetia,Rice said, referring to the two flashpoint areas. "This is about getting Russian troops out."
- President Bush in The Age
Georgia is a member of the United Nations, and South Ossetia and Abkhazia lie within its internationally recognized borders,Bush said, adding: "There's no room for debate on this matter."