- (adj) requiring great physical effort
- There was nothing effortful about it.
- We're all guilty of it, especially in the dwindling summer months procrastinating any task that seems remotely effortful until some far off point we hope will never come.
- While some applauded his advice for aging gracefully, others had their own suggestions about diet, exercise, medical aids and the need for effortful mental activity.
- No one quite understands Alex Rodriguez, let alone his signature combination of effortless grace and painfully effortful personal dorkiness. We can study it, we can write long essays in which A-Rod's spooky opacity is compared to various performance artists, and most often -- and quite often, recently -- we can just wonder in bafflement at his world-historically defective decision-making.on August 12, 2013 Source: Philly.com