- n a young child
- n a racehorse considered one year old until the second Jan. 1 following its birth
- n an animal in its second year
- Next week the two-year-olds will be partly eclipsed by their younger brothers sisters, when the big yearling sales that take place during the middle fortnight of the Saratoga .
- Then the crack of a rifle scatters the herd: Rocky Afraid-of-Hawk drops a yearling bull with one clean shot.
- Four evenings later, a total of 224 yearling thoroughbreds ($6,841,100 worth) had passed under the auctioneer's hammer for an average price of $30,541, an alltime Saratoga high.
- David Hayes in Stuff.co.nz
I've got a very good opinion of him, I rate him right up with my Blue Diamond quinella,Hayes said. "I am very lucky I have got three outstanding colts. He (Von Costa De Hero) is a $1.2 million yearling and the real deal."
- Kiaran McLaughlin in USA Today
I have to be honest, looking at Charitable Man and looking at Mine That Bird, it's like, you're looking at a magnificent animal (compared) to a small gelding that cost $9,500 as a yearling,McLaughlin says. "But he's a runner. In the Derby,...
- Peter McGauran in Racing and Sports Pty Ltd
International participation at Australian yearling sales continues to grow and this is being shown with strong results in many different countries,Aushorse chief executive Peter McGauran said. "It's tremendously satisfying for everyone...