- n an involuntary intake of breath through a wide open mouth; usually triggered by fatigue or boredom
the yawning in the audience told him it was time to stop
- v utter a yawn, as from lack of oxygen or when one is tired
- v be wide open
- s gaping open as if threatening to engulf someone or something
the yawning mine shaft
a yawning abyss
- s with the mouth wide open indicating boredom or sleepiness
a yawning congregation
- s showing lack of attention or boredom
the yawning congregation
- A yawning chasm (with an emphasis on yawning) separates the world inside the schoolhouse from the world outside.
- So yawning really is contagious? Yeah.
- With 85 million baby boomers and 50 million Gen Xers, there is already a yawning generation gap among American workers--particularly in their ideas of work-life balance.
News & Articles
- Rand pulls back from 4-year low but weakness lurks
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South Africa's rand clawed its way up from four-year lows and government bonds also recovered from an earlier sell-off on Tuesday after domestic factory output data beat market expectations. The outlook however remains bleak for local assets, with the rand particularly vulnerable to volatile swings in portfolio flows because of South Africa's yawning current account ...
June 11, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Google Patent Takes Facial Recognition a Frown Further
Unlocking your Android phone might soon become a matter of frowning, yawning or smiling. A patent from Google , originally filed in June 2012, enhances facial recognition by capturing several images of the user's facial gestures, which should prevent some ways of cheating the "standard" facial recognition system The problem with facial recognition is it's possible to fool it by simply presenting ...
June 6, 2013 - Mashable
- Barack Obama in St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Even as we make the necessary investments to put our economy back on track, we're proposing significant changes that will help bring the yawning deficits we inherited under control,Obama said. "We are cutting what we don't need to make...
- Nikolay Davydenko in Reuters South Africa
Wimbledon is the world's most boring tournament,Davydenko told the Sovietsky Sport newspaper. "There's hardly anything to do apart from tennis. You constantly find yourself yawning, there's no entertainment here."
- Marc Ian Barasch in Washington Post
It was the last day of shooting. They imported all the lions from California; they were kind of [lazy]. They weren't charging me in the right way...... this lion was sitting there [yawning] and she had a leash on. She was supposed to charge me with... Meryl Streep http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_Streep&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHiODp13hXQvz08QLk4KUyyBh216A Sify http://www.google.com/url?q=http://sify.com/movies/hollywood/fullstory.php%3Fid%3D14902267&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNECTgcRGZ_znPYJYweLh1JzqP3sFA Jul 29, 2009
111736 146512 yawp Marc Ian Barasch says our volatile society has enabled the rise of demagogues and media personalities who can crystallize your grievances into one primal yawp of venom."