- n American nocturnal goatsucker with grey-and-white plumage
- Evenings had turned cool, and the call of the whippoorwill came sharp and insistent across fields fat with Indiana's richest harvest in years.
- Once he put his '"trap" on the limb where a song sparrow came each dawn to serenade his nesting mate; once near a beer barrel which a whippoorwill had chosen for its nightly .
- It is mottled gray and resembles the whippoorwill.
- Loudon Wainwright III in The Tennessean
For me, it was really fun to just sing, and not try to push out that persona that I've been constructing for the last 40 years,Wainwright said. "I don't really sing ballads like 'The Letter That Never Came' or 'The Whippoorwill Song,' but...