- n a raised mark on the skin (as produced by the blow of a whip); characteristic of many allergic reactions
- n a raised or strengthened seam
- v beat severely with a whip or rod
- v put a welt on
welt the shoes
- By the end of the sixth round, the cut on Jeby's cheek was an ugly purple welt, his large, hooked nose was bleeding and everyone in the crowd of 12,000 except his managers knew .
- When they hit, the pellets are supposed to leave a painful welt.
- Nicklas Lidstrom in ESPN
I got lucky on that one. It me on the back of my head, right behind the ear,Lidstrom said. "I have more of a welt back there [than a cut]. It hurt a little bit. Everything's fine."
- Nate Robertson in International Herald Tribune
He hit a line drive off my backside that I'll never forget,Robertson said. "In the showers, everybody was laughing at me for getting a welt put on me like that by a 17-year-old kid. He was a man-child."
- Lou Piniella in SI.com
Ramirez has got a pretty good welt right above his wrist and it's really, really sore and swollen,Piniella said. "Let's hope he's ready tomorrow night."