- Mention Albania, and you are likely to remember little more than the scenes of hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing there from war-torn Kosovo in 1999.
- In 2001, Burundian journalist Alexis Sinduhije founded Radio Publique Africaine (RPA) as a means of fostering peace between the Tutsi and the Hutu in his war-torn country.
- Cheek, 26, donated his $40,000 in bonus money ($25,000 for gold and $15,000 for silver) to an organization called Right to Play, which helps kids in the war-torn, poverty-stricken .
News & Articles
- Advocacy groups urge new US envoy to push Congo governance
KINSHASA (Reuters) - More than a dozen advocacy groups urged the first U.S. special representative to Africa's war-torn Great Lakes region on Wednesday to push for democracy and good governance in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The United States named Russ Feingold on Tuesday in an effort to promote peace in a region long afflicted by violence, not least in eastern Congo, where mineral wealth ...
June 19, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Taliban talks announced as Afghanistan assumes security
Hope flickered in war-torn Afghanistan on Tuesday as national security forces formally took over security leadership and peace talks with the Taliban are now in the works.
June 18, 2013 - CNN
- 'G7 plus one'? Isolated Russia holds line on Syria.
Russia's fundamental differences with the West over how to seek peace in war-torn Syria has left Moscow isolated and this year's summit of the Group of Eight industrial democracies in some disarray – creating a situation that Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper bluntly described as "G7 plus one."
June 18, 2013 - Christian Science Monitor via Yahoo! News
- Ricardo Sanchez in USA Today
After more than fours years of fighting, America continues its desperate struggle in Iraq without any concerted effort to devise a strategy that will achieve victory in that war-torn country or in the greater conflict against extremism,...
- Ahmad Tejan Kabbah in BBC News
Mr Kabbah, who was prevented by law from running for a third five-year term, said: "I inherited a bankrupt, war-torn and failing state. Today, I am handing over to you a fully stable and functional state."