- n a solemn pledge (to oneself or to another or to a deity) to do something or to behave in a certain manner
they took vows of poverty
- v make a vow; promise
He vowed never to drink alcohol again
- v dedicate to a deity by a vow
- Before he set off for America at the age of 25, Athanassios Konstantinides, a poor Greek farmer in Asia Minor, made a vow to a 15-year-old girl.
- The plots were uniform: Lee makes a vow not to fight; people close to Lee are exploited and killed; Lee kills lots of people in retaliation; Lee turns himself in for punishment.
- According to newspaper reports, Riina has said little and maintains his vow of omert by offering few hard facts.
News & Articles
- Bruning resigns as pastor, admits to violating vow of celibacy
The Rev. William "Bill" Bruning, the founding pastor of Topeka's Mother Teresa of Calcutta Parish, has resigned as pastor of Prince of Peace Parish in Olathe after admitting he had violated his vow of celibate chastity, the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas has announced.
June 19, 2013 - The Topeka Capital-Journal
- Mozambique ex-rebels vow campaign of sabotage
Mozambique's former rebels on Wednesday vowed to block the country's main highway and a crucial rail link to coal fields, dramatically ramping up its standoff with the government.
June 19, 2013 - Fox News
- Breaking of celibacy vow cited in Olathe priest’s resignation
The Rev. William Bruning was pastor of Prince of Peace Parish in Olathe. The Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas received an allegation earlier this month that he had broken his vows.
June 19, 2013 - The Kansas City Star
- President Bush in Wall Street Journal
On the day the 4,000th American military death of the war was reported, Mr. Bush said: "I have vowed in the past, and I will vow so long as I'm president, to make sure that those lives were not lost in vain; that, in fact, there is a outcome that...
- George Takei in FOXNews
I vow to care for you as you've cared for me ...... and to love you as my husband and the only man in my life,Takei said as he held Altman's hands.
- Jamie Carragher in SkySports
Breaking this vow set the first alarm bells ringing, the embarrassing continual changing of the stadium plans was irritating too,added Carragher.