- n one bound by vows to a religion or life of worship or service
- n a priest or priestess (or consecrated worshipper) in a non-Christian religion or cult
a votary of Aphrodite
- n a devoted (almost religiously so) adherent of a cause or person or activity
the cultured votary of science
- While in London he worked hard, practiced the art of oratory, was "a constant votary of the play.
- But Rehnquist didn't turn out to be a conservative votary.
- To an admiring friend, Rachel Carson, 56, was "a nun of nature, a votary of all outdoors.
- George Washington in Houston Chronicle
Her work at the Gandhi Global Peace Centre is testimony to her deep commitment to create a good, peaceful and equitable society based on ideas and ideals of the Father of our Nation. She was also known to be a great votary of secularism and... Lalu Prasad http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalu_Prasad_Yadav&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGiXf6isHxLZLBW-kHs3zr9ilTRAA Thaindian.com (blog) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/india-news/vice-president-prime-minister-pay-homage-to-nirmala-despande_10043989.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFhgrlKH7iG5ha-xMIoSk2c0baoKQ May 1, 2008
108478 142318 votary I profess myself a Votary to Love," Washington wrote, confessing his love for Sally shortly before he was to marry Martha.
- Joe Lieberman in Voice of America
I don't think we should over do this. He chose a wrong word, he is such a votary of the English language and I am surprised that he used a word like embarrassment. He should have said that it is difficult for them to sing it, perhaps then there... UR Ananthamurthy http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U._R._Ananthamurthy&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNH7RKTueK8MTmTlEAMZM-zrJTiSKQ CNN-IBN http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.ibnlive.com/news/wearing-patriotism-on-sleeves-lands-murthy-in-soup/38372-3.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEkjZDFnArBQGyXWx10OuaAD8nnJQ Apr 11, 2007
108480 142319 vote If the public-option plan is in there, as a matter of conscience I will not allow this bill to come to a final vote, because I believe the debt [incurred by the bill] can break America and send us into a recession that is worse than the one we are...