- n something that is likely to vary; something that is subject to variation
the weather is one variable to be considered
- n a quantity that can assume any of a set of values
- n a star that varies noticeably in brightness
- n a symbol (like x or y) that is used in mathematical or logical expressions to represent a variable quantity
- a liable to or capable of change
rainfall in the tropics is notoriously variable
- s marked by diversity or difference
nature is infinitely variable
- s (used of a device) designed so that a property (as e.g. light) can be varied
a variable capacitor
variable filters in front of the mercury xenon lights
- Investigators haven't teased out all the variables at work in this phenomenon, but Hummer, for one, says some of the factors are no surprise: "People embedded in religious .
- A confounding thing about cancer is that it's actually many diseases, which makes prognosis and prevention variable.
- THE insurance industry is embroiled this week in a first-class row over the variable annuity, the newest gadget in financial security.
News & Articles
- New Type of Variable Star Found (Photo)
A previously unknown kind of variable star is on brilliant display 7,000 light-years from Earth in a new photo taken by a telescope in the Southern Hemisphere.
June 12, 2013 - SPACE.com via Yahoo! News
- Increased Adoption of Variable Frequency Drives Promote Uptake of Harmonic Filters, Finds Frost & Sullivan
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The use of variable frequency drives create multiple levels of harmonics in the system, which cannot be rectified or cleaned up without a harmonic filter. ...
June 12, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- What’s Going On Inside This New Kind of Variable Star?
A new kind of variable star — 36 of that type, in fact — has been found in a single star cluster. Astronomers don’t even have a name for the star type yet, but feel free to leave some suggestions in the comments! For now, however, astronomers are wondering what the implications are for our [...]
June 12, 2013 - Universe Today
- Christian Noyer in Bloomberg
Conserving capital "would require some restraint in dividend distribution and, or course, in the overall amount of variable compensation," Noyer said. "In parallel, all possibilities to issue new equity should be exploited."
- Ahmed Fahour in Sydney Morning Herald
Unfortunately, the current environment means that the RBA cash rate does not reflect the true cost of funding a home loan anymore,Mr Fahour said. "Even with this additional 0.04 per cent change on variable rate products NAB is continuing...
- Ben Bernanke in MarketWatch
Such products could be designed to avoid or mitigate the risk of payment shock and to be more transparent with respect to their terms,Bernanke wrote. "They might also contain features to improve affordability, such as variable maturities...