- n excessive but superficial compliments given with affected charm
- n smug self-serving earnestness
- n semisolid preparation (usually containing a medicine) applied externally as a remedy or for soothing an irritation
- n anointing as part of a religious ceremony or healing ritual
- The sponging of a condemned man's head makes electrocution seem a sacrament: baptism and extreme unction in a single dab.
- Happily, the collection has continued to grow during the intervening centuries: a shrivel of critics, an unction of undertakers (which, in larger groups, becomes an extreme .
- During the War he was so badly wounded that he was given extreme unction.