- n a tropical cyclone occurring in the western Pacific or Indian oceans
- Three weeks after typhoon Morakot struck, the village of Siaolin the worst hit by the disaster was the first stop for the Dalai Lama on his controversial visit to Taiwan.
- An estimated 400 people have died in the PhilippinesU fourth deadly typhoon in as many months.
- And at right, from the top: a member of a daily swimming club takes a dawn dip near Kennedy Town; Causeway Bay's typhoon shelter provides refuge for small craft; youngsters .
- Ma Ying-jeou in AFP
We have decided to (agree to) the Dalai Lama's visit to pray for the souls of the deceased and seek blessings for the survivors of the typhoon,Ma told reporters in central Nantou county.
- President Bush in Inquirer.net
I express our deep condolences to those who suffered as a result of the typhoon,Bush said shortly after he met with President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in his Oval Office Tuesday morning (evening in Manila).
- Taro Aso in BBC News
In this kind of situation, we need to relieve people's insecurities,Mr Aso said. "We should not be fearful of the violent storm, nor should we just stand and let the typhoon blow us away."