- n a soft porous rock consisting of calcium carbonate deposited from springs rich in lime
- n hard volcanic rock composed of compacted volcanic ash
- The base of the Palace will be marble and granite; the rest, tufa, a purple-red volcanic stone found in the Caucasus.
- The tufa towers produced by geological turmoil under the surface still stand, gnarled spires made of a material that Mark Twain likened to "inferior mortar dried hard": here a .
- Fantastical that landscape is, the tufa towers riddled with painted churches, like the sandcastles of giants' children, and I was amazed by it; but amazement is pretty soon .
News & Articles
- Looking for a garden oddity? Benedict's Nursery offers them
NAPPANEE — Benedict’s Nursery, 5623 W. 1300 North in Nappanee, offers some unique options in gardening other than the usual bed of annuals like marigolds and zinnias. Benedict’s has a tufa crevice bed. Tufa is a very porous rock that resembles lava rock. Alpines and ferns are grown in the tufa crevice bed.
June 24, 2013 - Goshen News
- Tirunesh Dibaba in Reuters Canada
I bumped into my team mate (Mestawet) Tufa,said Dibaba. "She fell and I didn't see her so I almost went down too. It was the biggest accomplishment of my career to fight back and win."