- n failure to attend (especially school)
- While results of the program aren't yet in, attendance of AVID students is 90% a promising sign in a school where chronic truancy has been a problem.
- According to Crosnoe, children often internalize this negative social feedback whether real or perceived which can lead to alcohol and drug use, failure in school, truancy .
- The reason for their truancy, however, is fear: "The kids are scared," says Dilek Turan, a psychology student who volunteers in Sulukule.
News & Articles
- Truancy program has 73% success rate
Kurt Singleton, a home-school visitor or truant officer, for Reading High School is on the front lines of the battle against truancy. A new weapon in the battle - the 30-Day Watch program - was launched during the 2012-13 school year and has had remarkable results.
June 22, 2013 - Reading Eagle
- Senator says Perry vetoed his bill by mistake
When Gov. Rick Perry vetoed a change in state truancy law last Friday, he inadvertently killed the wrong bill, the Senate author of the failed measure said Thursday.
June 20, 2013 - Austin American-Statesman
- More Texas students being prosecuted for truancy
Texas - Hundreds of thousands of students across Texas are being prosecuted for truancy.
June 19, 2013 - KFDA-TV Amarillo
- Michael Gove in Guardian Unlimited
The shadow children's secretary, Michael Gove, said: "Truancy is at a record high and is increasing every year. There are now twice as many school days missed as the government promised 10 years ago. Ministers have completely failed to get a grip of...
- Rod Welford in Melbourne Herald Sun
If the parents had poor school outcomes or experiences, this can lead to a cycle of poor school performance with their children struggling at school and becoming disengaged from learning, leading to misbehaviour and truancy,Mr Welford said....
- Jack Layton in Canada.com
Such a massive truancy is really something that should cause a lot of voters to wonder what's going on,said NDP Leader Jack Layton Wednesday.