troll : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (Scandanavian folklore) a supernatural creature (either a dwarf or a giant) that is supposed to live in caves or in the mountains
- n a partsong in which voices follow each other; one voice starts and others join in one after another until all are singing different parts of the song at the same time
- n a fisherman's lure that is used in trolling
he used a spinner as his troll
- n angling by drawing a baited line through the water
- v circulate, move around
- v cause to move round and round
The child trolled her hoop
- v sing the parts of (a round) in succession
- v angle with a hook and line drawn through the water
- v sing loudly and without inhibition
- v praise or celebrate in song
All tongues shall troll you
- v speak or recite rapidly or in a rolling voice
- Troll, also Internet Troll: Noun; a person who posts incendiary comments with the express purpose of provoking an argument.
- In the old bedtime story, the three Billy Goats Gruff wanted to cross a bridge to a tempting green pasture, but were stopped by the troll who lurked underneath.
- As he began to scratch at the bush-meat trade, to troll the markets, to visit the logging camps, he started to wonder if he was contributing to the continent's despoilment.
News & Articles
- IT Companies Back Federal Plans to Battle Patent Trolls
Major IT companies want to seize the moment in an effort to restrain what they consider to be an abuse of intellectual property rights by so-called patent trolls. In a recent flurry of activity, lawmakers and the Obama administration have taken steps to support large IT companies seeking patent claim reforms. The big IT companies claim that current law overwhelmingly favors the patent trolls.
June 12, 2013 - E-Commerce Times
- Operation “Troll the NSA” seeks to jam the agency with nonsense
The Obama administration and NSA have been under extreme public fire lately after a report by The Washington Post revealed a project called PRISM, which snowballed into a variety of other leaks and such that revealed what we already knew: the government is spying on Internet users. In retaliation, an Internet trolling operation has been Read The Full Story
June 11, 2013 - SlashGear
- There’s No Story Here
‘Troll the NSA’ aims to overwhelm the spy group with emails filled with ‘keywords of terror.’ The guys behind it work at BuzzFeed, and tell Eliza Shapiro they hope the NSA is listening.
June 10, 2013 - The Daily Beast via Yahoo! News
- Katie Price in Eleven
Price explained: "Princess is a mini-me. She has naturally curly blonde hair which I straightened recently and it didn't look good - she looked like a little troll," (we hope she didn't actually say that). "People criticise me for putting...
- Helge Lund in CNNMoney.com
StatoilHydro's commitment to realising the full potential on the NCS remains the same,says Mr Lund. "The work undertaken in Troll Future Development has provided a good basis for a long term development of the resources on Troll. We are...
- Anthony Kennedy in The Age
Is the troll the scary thing under the bridge,asked Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, "or is it a fishing technique?"