triple crown :
- n (horse racing) a title won by a horse that can win the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes and the Preakness
- n (baseball) an unofficial title won by a batter who leads the league in hitting average, runs batted in, and home runs
News & Articles
- Verrazano takes Pegasus; Itsmyluckyday pulled up
In the first major stakes for 3-year-olds following the Triple Crown, favored Verrazano was a romping winner of the $148,500 Pegasus Stakes June 16 after his main challenger, Itsmyluckyday, was pulled up on the Monmouth Park backstretch.
June 17, 2013 - ESPN
- With Triple Crown Done, Attention Turns To Older Horses
The Grade 1 Stephen Foster Handicap at Churchill Downs on Saturday marks a turn-the-page moment in racing from the end of the Triple Crown. Orb, Oxbow, Palace Malice plus the other top 3-year-olds will return soon enough in the Haskell and Travers. But
June 14, 2013 - Las Vegas Review-Journal
- ‘Throwback’ Triple Crown Gives Way To Foster And Future
Another Triple Crown campaign has come and gone and our streak without a horse that could sweep the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes stands at 35 years.
June 13, 2013 - Louisville Voice-Tribune