- v make tough or tougher
This experience will toughen her
- Kemal Ataturk, the most daring of them, introduced Turkey, after the fall of the Ottoman Empire in World War I, to Western-style secularism in order to toughen his society against .
- Shortly before the riots broke out, his own news agency (Orient Press) reported that Jinnah, anticipating violence, was sleeping on the floor these nightsto toughen up for a .
- His father, convinced that there are forces out to destroy his remaining son, becomes almost abusive in his insistence that Mann toughen up.
News & Articles
- Compromise among senators eyed on border security
WASHINGTON (AP) — After secretive talks, key senators expressed optimism Wednesday night that they were closing in on a bipartisan agreement to dramatically toughen the border security requirements in immigration legislation that also offers a path to citizenship to millions living in the country illegally.
June 20, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Kirk says he will back immigration bill if security tightened
Sen. Mark Kirk said today he will drop his resistance to an immigration reform bill if it includes a proposed amendment to toughen border security.
June 20, 2013 - Chicago Tribune
- N.J. Assembly sends three gun bills to Christie's desk
The state Assembly passed four bills today intended to toughen penalties for criminals who illegally possess guns
June 20, 2013 - The Star-Ledger
- J Michael Straczynski in Hindustan Times
J. Michael Straczynski, the new writer for the DC Comics series, told the New York Times he wanted to "toughen her up and give her a modern sensibility" and change the outfit Wonder Woman has been wearing for almost seven decades.
- Angela Merkel in CNN International
We will confer on how we can toughen sanctions against Zimbabwe, and I hope that we will also get support from our African colleagues here,Merkel said in her weekly video message.
- Briny Baird in SI.com
Asked about a rumor that the fairways had tightened, Baird replied, "I don't think that's a rumor. That's a fact. They've pinched fairways in. The rough is definitely up from years past, so they're trying to toughen it up," Baird said. "If...