- n a ring-shaped surface generated by rotating a circle around an axis that does not intersect the circle
- n commonly the lowest molding at the base of a column
- The central horizontal torus (scientific word for a doughnut shape) is a ring-shaped aluminum vacuum chamber with a 39-in.
- Construction from a Ring (1940-41) is a fat torus or ring sliced in half and then set up with one half balanced on the other.
- There's a subplot in this one that deals with (IIRC) a near-weightless mass of air adrift in space (a bit like the torus in Niven's Integral Trees books) that supports a complex .
News & Articles
- Dusty surprise around giant black hole
ESO’s Very Large Telescope Interferometer has gathered the most detailed observations ever of the dust around the huge black hole at the centre of an active galaxy. Rather than finding all of the glowing dust in a doughnut-shaped torus around the black hole, as expected, the astronomers find that much of it is located above and below the torus. These observations show that dust is being pushed ...
June 20, 2013 - Science Daily
- Dust In The Wind… Black Hole Style
Over the years, researchers have taken myriad observations of black holes and their environs, but now ESO’s Very Large Telescope Interferometer is giving us the most detailed look of the dust around a black hole at the center of an active galaxy ever obtained. Originally expected to be contained within the ring-shaped torus around the [...]
June 20, 2013 - Universe Today
- Kirk Hanefeld in PGA.com
The Spherical Torus is closely related to the [ITER] tokamak design, and experiments planned for the next several years in the NSTX facility promise many exciting discoveries that should directly impact our ability to understand the new plasma... Raymond L. Orbach http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_L._Orbach&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEmSSKdSFpb2jYQ7AUMaTt-5gDfwA PhysicsToday.org http://www.google.com/url?q=http://blogs.physicstoday.org/newspicks/2008/05/us_national_compact_stellarato.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHM_Lm29RRDutoNQlFXQg4r7SYNTg May 23, 2008
100967 134065 toscana I felt I made the highest score I could, despite hitting the ball well," said Hanefeld. "I left a lot of shots out there. Toscana is a little narrower off the tee than Andalusia. I played pretty well today, but unhappy the way I scored. I...