- v pose a threat to; present a danger to
- v to utter intentions of injury or punishment against:"He threatened me when I tried to call the police"
- v to be a menacing indication of something:"The clouds threaten rain"
- s (of flora or fauna) likely in the near future to become endangered
the spotted owl is a threatened species, not yet an endangered one
- One-third of reef-building coral are threatened, scientists say, making corals the Earth's most endangered species.
- On May 14, Kempthorne announced that the polar bear would be listed as "threatened" under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), making it the first animal to be listed due to global .
- From Cairo last week came new evidence that ancient temples of the Nile Valley are threatened with ruin.
News & Articles
- Schenectady threatened by river overflow
Schenectady threatened by river overflow Times Union Copyright 2013 Times Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 6:44 pm, Thursday, June 13, 2013 The Mohawk River is expected to overflow its banks and flood homes in Schenectady's Stockade neighborhood — joining a flurry of fears around the region sprouting from the steady ...
June 13, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- French reporter threatened over film on Tibet
PARIS, June 13 (UPI) -- A French reporter says he has been threatened by Chinese diplomats because of an undercover report he filmed in Tibet.
June 13, 2013 - UPI
- Police: Recruiters were threatened in Antioch office
Police have arrested a man they said threatened two National Guard recruiters with a pocketknife Tuesday.
June 13, 2013 - The Tennessean
- Gilbert Arenas in Washington Post
In a statement released with his attorney, Kenneth L. Wainstein, Arenas described his handling of the weapons as "a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate. Contrary to some news accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns...
- David Cameron in Reuters Africa
Thank you also for the lift between the two. It was -- he threatened to send me a bill, but as I said, times are very tight in the UK, so I'm afraid we'll have to take it as a free lift,Cameron said.
- Barack Obama in FOXNews (blog)
Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others,Obama said. "That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threatened to undermine basic notions of fairness that...