- v increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity
The music swelled to a crescendo
- v become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger
- v expand abnormally
- v come up (as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things)
Smoke swelled from it
- v come up, as of a liquid
- v cause to become swollen
- s feeling self-importance
had a swelled head
he was swelled with pride
- His ego could have swelledeveryone else's does.
- The international offersthis month they are filming a TV special in South Koreahave swelled to the point that they have enlisted the aid of International Management Group .
- In little over a year their number has swelled to some 30,000 youthful followers who man "Divine Light" centers in 45 states.
News & Articles
- Deluge swells 33 rivers across the Commonwealth to ‘near-flooding’ or ‘minor flooding’ status
The incessant beat of raindrops over the past 10 days has swelled rivers across the Commonwealth, from the Hoosic River near Williamstown to the Taunton River near Bridgewater.
June 15, 2013 - Boston Globe
- High water levels force swimming ban at Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
Federal park officials are temporarily banning swimming in the Delaware Water Gap because of high river levels. The Delaware River is running seven to eight feet above normal in the recreation area that straddles northeastern Pennsylvania and northwestern New Jersey. A statement from the National Park Service says the Delaware swelled to nearly 12 feet on Friday afternoon following heavy rains ...
June 15, 2013 - WFMZ Eastern Pennsylvania and Western New Jersey
- Crackdown filling NKorean prisons with defectors
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea's prison population has swelled with those caught fleeing the country under a crackdown on defections by young leader Kim Jong Un, according to defectors living in South Korea and researchers who study Pyongyang's notorious network of labor camps and detention centers.
June 13, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News