- v to put down by force or authority
- v come down on or keep down by unjust use of one's authority
- v control and refrain from showing; of emotions, desires, impulses, or behavior
- v put out of one's consciousness
- v reduce the incidence or severity of or stop
- a kept from public knowledge by various means;
- s manifesting or subjected to suppression
a suppressed press
- s held in check with difficulty
- Bragged Rollins: "I think to a certain extent we suppressed their vote.
- Women are suppressed both in Islamic countries and in the West.
- Contraceptive information was so suppressed by clergy-influenced, physician-accepted laws that it was a criminal offense to send it through the mail.
News & Articles
- Far from Iran election, former guerrillas lobby Washington
By Susan Cornwell WASHINGTON (Reuters) - For decades, an Iranian dissident group has seemed to be on the wrong side of history. Suppressed by both the Shah of Iran and then the ayatollahs who deposed him in 1979, its supporters have faced prison, death and exile, and were shunned in the United States as members of a cult-like terrorist organization. The Mujahadin-e-Khalq (MEK) former guerrilla ...
June 14, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Iran infighting turns election into real contest
Supporters of late-surging Iranian presidential candidate Hassan Rowhani display their backing with purple ribbons and scarves, borrowing a color signature from the reformist Green Movement that was suppressed after the 2009 election.
June 14, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- When Ordinary Americans Accomplish What the Government Can’t
Point the camera toward the pinnacle of American political power in Washington, and the picture that emerges on most days is one of stalemate and drift. On many of the country’s most pressing challenges, Washington since the mid-1990s has struggled to reach enough agreement to move very far in any direction. Polarization has suppressed innovation.
June 13, 2013 - National Journal via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in New York Times
Mr. Obama added: "When I see violence directed at peaceful protesters, when I see peaceful dissent being suppressed, wherever that takes place, it is of concern to me and it is of concern to the American people. That is not how governments should...
- Pat Tillman in KTVU.com
Revealing that Pat's death was a fratricide would have been yet another political disaster in a month of political disasters ...... so the truth needed to be suppressed,Tillman said.
- John Roberts in Forbes
But Roberts said, "Discussion of issues cannot be suppressed simply because the issues also may be pertinent in an election. Where the First Amendment is implicated, the tie goes to the speaker, not the censor."