- v sink below the surface; go under or as if under water
- v cover completely or make imperceptible
- v put under water
- v fill or cover completely, usually with water
- s beneath the surface of the water
- s growing or remaining under water
- If Detroit had been savaged by a hurricane and submerged by a ravenous flood, we'd know a lot more about it.
- To those who will never follow in his footsteps, submerged as they are in a world of cynicism, self-interest and frantic consumption, nothing could be more vicariously gratifying .
- The Marsili seamount--submerged in a few thousand meters of water north of Sicily--has the theoretical potential to wreak havoc some day by generating seismic waves known as .
News & Articles
- A grateful Long Beach says thanks
LONG BEACH, N.J. - Cars were submerged in three feet of sand. Six feet of water added insult to injury. Then, nine days later, snow blanketed the town.
June 16, 2013 - Philly.com
- Woman found dead in submerged car
DENVER — The Jefferson County coroner is trying to identify a woman found dead in a submerged car in Clear Creek. The vehicle was spotted by a passer-by Wednesday morning. It was submerged in high, swift water, about a quarter of a mile from the place where it ran off the road west of Golden.
June 13, 2013 - The Daily Sentinel
- Emergency crews credited for rescuing girl, 2 women from submerged SUV in northern Iowa
NORTHWOOD, Iowa — Emergency response crews are being credited for rescuing a girl and two women from an SUV in northern Iowa that was submerged in rushing floodwater.
June 13, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Anote Tong in Stuff.co.nz
We may already be at the point of no return, where the emissions in the atmosphere will carry on contributing to climate change, so in time our small low-lying islands will be submerged,Mr Tong said today in Wellington.
- Mia Farrow in AFP
I saw a city mostly submerged in deep mud (and) people still stranded on roof tops. Other people are still living in school and in a church,Farrow told AFP after a tour of storm-ravaged Gonaives in the northern part of the country.
- Patrick Leahy in WESH.com
FEMA has been submerged in a sea of bureaucracy led by people concerned with nothing but the detention of terrorists,said US Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. "FEMA used to be one of the extraordinarily respected agencies. Today, you can't say...