- n a member of the crew of a submarine
- Re the pronunciation of submariner in your July 30 Letters column: If you mean by submariner (second syllable accented) a mariner of second class standing, I'll buy it.
- The submariner regards it as his routine theater of operations.
- Influential Protestant leaders, guided by that submariner-turned-neutralist.
- John McCain in Washington Post
My grandfather was an aviator; my father a submariner,McCain said. "They were my first heroes, and their respect for me has been one of the most lasting ambitions of my life. They gave their lives to their country, and taught me lessons...
- Shunsuke Watanabe in New York Times
He was so graceful,said Watanabe, who was interviewed in Japanese. "The image of a submariner is of a cheap pitcher, like an old man in a beer league who's just trying to lob it in there underhanded. Mr. Yamada's form was breathtakingly...
- Bob Geren in MLB.com
He's made some adjustments in his delivery,Geren said. "A left-handed submarine guy is very rare. There are a few out there. But it's still pretty rare -- how many at-bats do you see a left-handed hitter against a left-handed submariner in...