- n a British commissioned army officer below the rank of captain
- s inferior in rank or status
- That experience didn't seem to sour DeLay, who has begun his DWTS campaign with such vigor, you'd think the cast was stocked with Democrats instead of subaltern celebrities with at .
- A young subaltern with "dark eyes under long lashes, a pink and white complexion" was sent to Moran for "vetting.
- A subaltern of the Guards struck a policeman with the flat of his sword because he failed to salute the King's colors, which were carried past him oy the Guards' Regiment.
- Lauren Berlant in Boston Globe (registration)
Women's culture, minority culture, the culture of any subaltern group, has always been dismissed as being overemotional,Berlant says, because the claims of these groups on the dominant culture are emotional as well as political: They're...