- v deliver a sharp blow, as with the hand, fist, or weapon
The teacher struck the child
The boxer struck the attacker dead
- v have an emotional or cognitive impact upon
This behavior struck me as odd
- v hit against; come into sudden contact with
He struck the table with his elbow
- v make a strategic, offensive, assault against an enemy, opponent, or a target
The Germans struck Poland on Sept. 1, 1939
in the fifth inning, the Giants struck, sending three runners home to win the game 5 to 2
- v indicate (a certain time) by striking
The clock struck midnight
Just when I entered, the clock struck
- v affect or afflict suddenly, usually adversely
The earthquake struck at midnight
- v stop work in order to press demands
- v touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly
The light struck the golden necklace
A strange sound struck my ears
- v attain
The horse finally struck a pace
- v produce by manipulating keys or strings of musical instruments, also metaphorically
her comments struck a sour note
- v cause to form (an electric arc) between electrodes of an arc lamp
- v find unexpectedly
she struck a goldmine
The hikers finally struck the main path to the lake
- v produce by ignition or a blow
- v remove by erasing or crossing out or as if by drawing a line
- v cause to experience suddenly
Panic struck me
The thought struck terror in our minds
They were struck with fear
- v drive something violently into a location
she struck her head on the low ceiling
- v occupy or take on
- v form by stamping, punching, or printing
- v smooth with a strickle
- v pierce with force
The bullet struck her thigh
The icy wind struck through our coats
- v arrive at after reckoning, deliberating, and weighing
- s (used in combination) affected by something overwhelming
- Chris Helgren Reuters Dozens of residents in the province of L'Aquila, some 80 miles (130 km) east of Rome, were crushed in their beds when the earthquake struck at 3:32 a.
- In the first incident, a roadside bomb struck a patrol in southern Baghdad around 10:30 a.
- From the moment she roars, "They tried to make me go to rehab I said 'No No No,'" you'll be struck by a metaphysical question: Who stuffed all those black ladies into that tiny .
News & Articles
- Boy struck by car in Albany
Boy struck by car in Albany Times Union Copyright 2013 Times Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 10:15 pm, Saturday, June 15, 2013 ALBANY – A motorist on Saturday night struck a 7-year-old boy in Albany, who was taken to Albany Medical Center with serious injuries, city police said. The accident occurred about 8 p.m ...
June 16, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car
A bicyclist was struck and killed by a speeding car Sunday afternoon.
June 16, 2013 - First Coast News
- Man Struck, Killed By No. 1 Subway Train Near City College
A man was struck and killed by a subway train near City College in Upper Manhattan Friday evening, causing a commuter mess on the No. 1 train line.
June 15, 2013 - CBS New York
- Barack Obama in Sydney Morning Herald
I've been struck by his wisdom and his graciousness,Obama said, praising the long friendship between the United States and Saudi Arabia, the regional economic and political powerhouse.
- Phil Mickelson in San Francisco Chronicle
The golf course is very fair, very playable,an optimistic Mickelson said. "We obviously saw some scores out there, and if you struck it well, you could do that. You could make some birdies."
- Sydney Schanberg in 940 News
Pran was a true reporter, a fighter for the truth and for his people,Schanberg said. "When cancer struck, he fought for his life again. And he did it with the same Buddhist calm and courage and positive spirit that made my brother so...