- n a soft silver-white or yellowish metallic element of the alkali metal group; turns yellow in air; occurs in celestite and strontianite
- The major menace of radioactive strontium is that chemically it behaves too much like calcium.
- Deer ingest strontium with their forage.
- While strontium 90 is long-lasting (half life: 28 years), the half life of iodine 131 is only eight days.
News & Articles
- High Level of Radioactive Strontium Found in Groundwater Near Fukishima Plant
Tokyo Electric Power said it had found strontium-90 at 30 times Japan’s safety limit in groundwater, raising concerns that its storage tanks are leaking contaminated water.
June 18, 2013 - New York Times
- Marine Levels Of Radioactive Strontium Spiked Following 2011 Fukushima Accident
redOrbit Staff & Wire Reports - Your Universe Online New research suggests that the accident at the Fukushima nuclear power plant two years ago increased the amount of radioactive strontium on the east coast of Japan by as much as one-hundred times their normal levels. Experts from the Institute for Environmental Science and Technology (ICTA) and the Department of Physics of the Universitat ...
June 12, 2013 - redOrbit
- Helen Caldicott in National Post
Strontium batteries in lighthouse lanterns along the Russian coast pose a hazard to health and the environment, and are also a potential security threat. It is therefore important that Norway and Finland are now cooperating with Russia on solving... Jonas Gahr Store http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Gahr_St%C3%B8re&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGonFixNb7nWoIDFptpn1pPqMOIkA Norway Post http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.norwaypost.no/content/view/22752/26/&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEOK25CUFZQxT5l0MNAc-wIOVjStQ Nov 11, 2009
95480 126825 strontium The effects of Chernobyl in terms of radiation are still being recorded as far away as Sweden and Norway," said Caldicott. "The apples growing there look beautiful, but they're poison. And the rates of Uranium and Strontium-90 are...