- n British money; especially the pound sterling as the basic monetary unit of the UK
- s highest in quality
- Once again, the central bankers of Western nations rallied last week to support the pound sterling.
- Thus both the demand for and a big source of supply of free sterling in New York were wiped out overnight.
- Sion TouhigGetty The strength of the pound has long been a source of British pride the word "sterling" has come to describe something of the highest standard.
- George Osborne in guardian.co.uk
Osborne said: "Sterling has devalued rapidly against the euro and the dollar. We are in danger, if the government is not careful, of having a proper sterling collapse, a run on the pound. The danger of a run on the pound is that it pushes up...
- Mike Dunleavy in UPI.com
I've had several conversations with owner (Donald T. Sterling) concerning what we think is best for the team overall,Dunleavy said in a statement on the team's Web site. "I've come to the conclusion that this is the ideal time for me to...
- Mario Theissen in ic Newcastle.co.uk
BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen said: "As our test and reserve driver, Sebastian has carried out sterling work for us. Now he has been offered the opportunity to get inside a Toro Rosso cockpit."