- n an electric motor for starting an engine
- n a contestant in a team sport who is in the game at the beginning
- n the official who signals the beginning of a race or competition
- n any new participant in some activity
- n food or drink to stimulate the appetite (usually served before a meal or as the first course)
- n a hand tool consisting of a rotating shaft with parallel handle
- n a culture containing yeast or bacteria that is used to start the process of fermentation or souring in making butter or cheese or dough
to make sourdough you need a starter
- Harvey was given a starter pistol.
- If you're looking for a Fassbinder starter set, try The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant or Martha or Ali: Fear Eats the Soul or The Marriage of Maria Braun.
- Home sales are improving lately, but it's the small starter homes that sell, while big expensive houses go unloved.
News & Articles
- Potential starter Wood has brush with adversity
An off-day Thursday doomed Braves reliever Alex Wood to his most challenging appearance as a Major Leaguer in the seventh inning of Friday's 6-0 loss to the Giants. But despite his rocky outing, Wood may have moved closer to returning to his natural role as a starter.
June 15, 2013 - Atlanta Braves
- Starter-turned-reliever Smoltz believes Lincecum still can succeed at either
By Henry Schulman Atlanta – A former Braves pitching great who won 157 games as a starter over 12 seasons, then saved 154 more in four seasons when he was converted to a closer, was very impressed by the way Tim Lincecum dominated as a reliever in the 2012 postseason after a bad regular season as a starter. “To be able to do that midseason is hard as it is,” John Smoltz said in an interview ...
June 14, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- Tigers starter Max Scherzer can reach rarefied air if he can go 10-0
In fact, the leap from 9-0 to 10-0 is almost the same in terms of statistical excellence as the one Scherzer has taken as he's climbed from being a good starter to becoming an outstanding one.
June 14, 2013 - Detroit News
- Michael Vick in Atlanta Journal Constitution
Vick said that after being away from the game for two years, "I've got to crawl before I walk. I can't imagine going out and trying to be a starter for a football team. I just don't think it would happen. As much God-given ability as I have, I don't...
- Mitch McConnell in Chicago Sun-Times
As for GOP votes, McConnell said, "I think that for virtually every Republican, a government plan is a non-starter."
- Vicente del Bosque in Sydney Morning Herald
He remains a reference for us,Del Bosque said . "To be on a (scoreless) streak or not, he offers hard work and personality and he'll be our striker. Saying that doesn't mean he's an untouchable starter, but we have full confidence in him."