- n social or financial or professional status or reputation
of equal standing
a member in good standing
- n an ordered listing of scores or results showing the relative positions of competitors (individuals or teams) in a sporting event
- n the act of assuming or maintaining an erect upright position
- v be standing; be upright
- v be in some specified state or condition
- v occupy a place or location, also metaphorically
- v hold one's ground; maintain a position; be steadfast or upright
I am standing my ground and won't give in!
- v put up with something or somebody unpleasant
- v have or maintain a position or stand on an issue
- v remain inactive or immobile
- v be in effect; be or remain in force
- v be tall; have a height of; copula
- v put into an upright position
- v withstand the force of something
- v be available for stud services
- s having a supporting base
a standing lamp
- s not created for a particular occasion
a standing committee
- a (of fluids) not moving or flowing
mosquitoes breed in standing water
- a executed in or initiated from a standing position
race from a standing start
a standing jump
a standing ovation
- a (of persons) on the feet; having the torso in an erect position supported by straight legs
standing room only
- s permanent
a standing army
- He would also deny standing to those who challenge the Administration's environmental policies.
- Its last pages show him standing with two of Indonesia's best-known Islamic extremists, one of whom served a 10-year jail sentence for the 1985 bombing of the Buddhist temple of .
- Chicago, IL - Today, Oklahoma Superdelegate Reggie Whitten endorsed Barack Obama, citing his ability to unite Americans for change and his proven track record of standing up for .
- Paul Goydos in Seattle Times
Standing over that last putt, I was probably as nervous as I've ever been over a putt in my life,he said. "The putt would have gone in a thimble."
- Graeme McDowell in bettor.com (blog)
When given the silver trophy, McDowell joyously said: "I can't believe I'm standing with this right now. It's a dream come true. I've been dreaming it all my life. Two putts to win the US Open. Can't believe it happened."
- Barack Obama in Peace FM Online
I was down there a month ago, before most of these talking heads were even paying attention to the gulf. A month ago I was meeting with fishermen down there, standing in the rain talking about what a potential crisis this could be,Obama said,...