- n (Italian cuisine) squid prepared as food
- n widely distributed fast-moving ten-armed cephalopod mollusk having a long tapered body with triangular tail fins
- A colossal squid being examined by scientists in New Zealand this week is yielding amazing facts about one of the ocean's shy leviathans.
- For obsessive squid hunters, it's the scientific equivalent of Captain Ahab finally getting his white sperm whale.
- Extremely longtime readers of this blog -- of which there might not actually be any -- will know that nothing gets me more excited than breakthroughs in squid science.
News & Articles
- Argentina caught a Chinese ship trying to steal 180 tonnes of its squid
An unlicensed Chinese jigger hoarding some 180 tonnes (200 tons) of fresh squid was caught fishing off of Argentina’s coast late on Tuesday (June 17). The country’s coast guard has since boarded and seized ...
June 20, 2013 - Quartz via Yahoo! Finance
- Kirby: Broccoli? I’d rather eat squid
Kirby: Broccoli? I’d rather eat squid by Robert Kirby Tribune Columnist Published Jun 19, 2013 10:23AM MDT My first taste of squid resulted in an experience even the most sophisticated of gourmands refer to as “hurling.” I was 10. Ever the prankster, my father waited until I ate it before telling me what it was. The squid came right back up along with some of my toes. The reaction was a surprise ...
June 18, 2013 - The Salt Lake Tribune
- It's clear as black and white: "Frances Ha" is an absolute charmer
Noah Baumbach's 2005 breakthrough "The Squid and the Whale" is a great movie, but it should come with a warning. The dialogue and characters are so cutting and acidic, I was left looking for a Band-Aid when it was all done. Eight years and a couple more scathing features later, Baumbach delivers "Frances Ha," a sweet Woody Allen-esque comedy that his honest, funny, acute screenplays can come ...
June 18, 2013 - OnMilwaukee.com
- Matt Taibbi in New York Times
In the article, the writer Matt Taibbi described the investment bank as "a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
- Jim Anderton in Independent
Mr Anderton said "the squid was eating a hooked toothfish when it was hauled from the deep".
- William Gilly in Science Daily (press release)
We also know relatively little about the behavior of jumbo squid in the wild,Gilly added. "For example, it was only a couple of years ago that we discovered an area in the central Gulf of California where spawning and mating of these...