- v suppress or crush completely
- v make a sucking sound
- v walk through mud or mire
- v to compress with violence, out of natural shape or condition
- s subdued or overcome
a squelched rumor
- Congressional outrage squelched the project, but the fact is, betting on terrorism actually makes sense.
- The dotcom bubble had burst, and 911 had squelched whatever was left of the old irrational exuberance.
- QA: NASA's chief climate scientist, who charged that his views on global warming were being squelched, says we're getting close to a tipping point.
News & Articles
- Markham, Outlaws too much for Bears
There were two reasons why Lee’s Summit Hawthorn Bank Outlaws pitcher Jackson Markham squelched the Independence VFW Post 1000 Bears 11-0 Thursday at Legacy Park, according to Bears manager Garrett Ogle.
June 21, 2013 - The Examiner
- Bill Bradley in Boston Globe (registration)
Bradley, speaking about the presidential library contributors, asked: "Are there favors attached to $500,000 or $1 million contributions? And what do I mean by favors? I mean, pardons that are granted, investigations that are squelched, contracts...
- Brian Mason in Vancouver Sun
I think they squelched the campaign because they found it embarrassing,Mason said. "People need to understand that the rates of syphilis we're seeing in Alberta are extremely high for an industrialized society in which we have a modern...