- n an elected governmental council in a communist country (especially one that is a member of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics)
- a of or relating to or characteristic of the former Soviet Union or its people
News & Articles
- Soviet space 'first' recalled
MOSCOW - It was another Soviet first in space 50 years ago, putting a woman in orbit. And 26-year-old Valentina Tereshkova carried her part with grace, shouting "Take off your hat, sky, I'm coming!" as she blasted off.
June 15, 2013 - Worcester Telegram & Gazette
- First woman in space marks 50 years of her historic flight
It was another Soviet first in space 50 years ago — putting a woman in orbit. And 26-year old Valentina Tereshkova carried her part with grace, shouting "Take off your hat, sky, I'm coming!" as she blasted off.President Vladimir Putin praised her during a meeting at his residence Friday, marking the anniversary of her flight, which came a little more than two years after the Soviet Union put the ...
June 15, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Tallinn: The Former Soviet City That Gave Birth To Skype
The Estonian capital is dotted with medieval towers and Soviet architecture that belie its status as one of the world's most technologically advanced cities. Residents use a smart card to ride the bus, and mail packages and pay for parking with their phones.
June 12, 2013 - NPR
- Robert Gates in FOXNews
I think there needs to be a strong, unified response to Russia to send the message that this kind of behavior, characteristic of the Soviet period, has no place in the 21st century,Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Sunday.
- Condoleezza Rice in International Herald Tribune
Let's be real about this and realistic about this, the idea that somehow 10 interceptors and a few radars in eastern Europe are going to threaten the Soviet strategic deterrent is purely ludicrous and everybody knows it,Rice told reporters...
- Vladimir Putin in Long Beach Press-Telegram
Analogous actions by the Soviet Union, when it deployed missiles in Cuba, prompted the 'Caribbean crisis,' Putin said, using the Russian term for the Cuban missile crisis. "For us the situation is technologically very similar. We have...