- s of the blackest black; similar to the color of jet or coal
- s covered with or as if with soot
a sooty chimney
- It may sound utterly implausible, but just 20 minutes from the yammering streets and sooty sidewalks of Hong Kong's downtown heart is a ridgetop world of forested uplands and .
- Even in grade school, Ernie could always run faster and throw harder and kick farther than anybody else who booted scuffed old footballs around the sooty playgrounds of Uniontown .
- April was a grim month in Wei Jianzhong's sooty, barracks-like neighborhood in Zhengzhou, the capital of central Henan province.
- Russell Banks in San Francisco Chronicle
As Russell Banks writes in his new novel, set in 1936, the Adirondacks have been a magnet since the mid-19th century for the country's wealthiest families seeking "to quicken and refresh their sooty, urban souls with transcendental views of nature...