- v envelop completely
- v deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing
Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow
- v conceal or hide
- v form an impenetrable cover over
the butter cream smothered the cake
- v deprive of the oxygen necessary for combustion
- s held in check with difficulty
a smothered cough
- s completely covered
bonnets smothered with flowers
smothered chicken is chicken cooked in a seasoned gravy
- Some of them smothered their children with love.
- In a storm, cattle huddled with their hindquarters facing the wind, and often smothered in the thick snow.
- He beat her, she says, and almost smothered her with a pillow.
News & Articles
- Hundreds to run in Ga. race that's 4 miles of mud
POOLER, Ga. (AP) — Hundreds of runners on the Georgia coast are set to compete in one of the state's dirtiest races. WTOC-TV reports (http://bit.ly/11FD5rZ ) more than 1,500 people have signed up for the 2013 Mud Run race being held Saturday on the campus of JCB Construction Equipment west of Savannah. The race's 4.3-mile course is smothered in mud, dirt and water. It also has more than 20 ...
June 15, 2013 - WDEF Chattanooga
- Movie Review: ‘Man of Steel’
There’s angst on display, but it’s trumped and eventually smothered by body-slamming action sequences that just don’t know when to quit.
June 13, 2013 - CBS Philadelphia
- Staff picks
Stephen Harris: Bruins in 6 Tuukka Rask and the Bruins’ team defense smothered the mighty Penguins, and can do the same against Patrick Kane & the Blackhawks. Steve Conroy: Blackhawks in 7 The odes to Gregory Campbell were written for a reason. His loss is a big one. Steve Buckley: Bruins in 5 When it’s over, these Bruins will have won as many Cups as the Big, Bad Bruins of Orr, Espo, Chief, Pie ...
June 12, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Shaun Ellis in The Associated Press
Coming in as an opposing team I think you'll feel kind of smothered,Ellis said.
- Harry Shearer in FOX News
If you walk into any of those places today, you will sooner or later be smothered by network creative input,Shearer said. "And unless you have made the studios about a billion dollars, your project will be creative inputted to death."
- Mark DeRosa in MiamiHerald.com
Every time we scored to get ourselves back in it, it's like they put a two- or three-spot on the board the next half inning and kind of smothered our opportunities to get back in the game,DeRosa said.