- n a position in a grammatical linguistic construction in which a variety of alternative units are interchangeable
he developed a version of slot grammar
- n a small slit (as for inserting a coin or depositing mail)
he put a quarter in the slot
- n a time assigned on a schedule or agenda
the TV program has a new time slot
an aircraft landing slot
- n a position in a hierarchy or organization
Bob Dylan occupied the top slot for several weeks
she beat some tough competition for the number one slot
- n the trail of an animal (especially a deer)
he followed the deer's slot over the soft turf to the edge of the trees
- n (computer) a socket in a microcomputer that will accept a plug-in circuit board
the PC had three slots for additional memory
- n a slot machine that is used for gambling
they spend hours and hours just playing the slots
- v assign a time slot
slot a television program
- After World War II the thinly populated (589,000) logging-mining-farming state of Idaho found itself surrounded east, west and south by a locust-like infestation of rattling slot .
- The $11 million-a-year slot-machine-manufacturing business was wiped out with one stroke of a pen last week.
- Consider this: if only three South American countries had World Cup slots for 2002, Brazil would have just scraped through.
News & Articles
- Browns gambling that slot position will improve
The Browns have gambled and lost while playing the slots. Now they have visions of hitting a jackpot. The obvious answers to their woes at slot receiver and to filling in for Josh Gordon aren’t the only ones.
June 17, 2013 - The Massillon Independent
- May slot machine revenue shows lessening decline
Slot-machine revenue declines at Eastern Connecticut casinos ebbed in May, although Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun have gone more than a year without reporting increases.
June 15, 2013 - The Norwich Bulletin
- Foxwoods’ slot revenue for May down 4.4 percent
MASHANTUCKET — May slot revenue at Foxwoods Resort Casino declined to $48.2 million, which is 4.4 percent lower than the $50.4 million reported for the same period a year ago. Slot handle, the amount
June 15, 2013 - The Westerly Sun
- Kyle Whittingham in International Herald Tribune
I thought we had an outside chance,Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said in a telephone interview with the AP. "There was enough national sentiment, I thought we might get the No. 1 slot. It wasn't to be."
- Sir Trevor Brooking in The Press Association
He added: "To be fair to the clubs, the timing of the tournament is a bit tricky but it really is the only slot available to UEFA. Any later in the season and the player release issue would be just as hard. I think the clubs appreciate that now."
- Jason Varitek in USA Today
He just missed on a few pitches,Varitek said of the rocky first. "He did settle into his rhythm and found his arm slot more."