- n the state of being under the control of another person
- n the practice of owning slaves
- n work done under harsh conditions for little or no pay
- A new book shows that antislavery writing was common long before 'Uncle Tom's Cabin'.
- Viewpoint: Yes, as long as it's only the first step in acknowledging slavery's continuing legacy for both blacks and whites.
- Across Asia, tens of thousands of children from poor families are being sold into slavery so that customers, like the man at left, can use them as prostitutes, as servants, as .
News & Articles
- End of American slavery celebrated at "Juneteenth" picnic
WARREN, Ohio - The Community Concerned Citizens held their 12th annual "Juneteenth" celebration at Perkins Park Saturday. Juneteenth commemorates the ending of slavery in the United States.
June 16, 2013 - WFMJ Youngstown
- Juneteenth Festival celebrates end of slavery
Nearly 100 people came out to the 10th annual Juneteenth Conference and Festival at Greater Faith Church-Baptist in Waukegan on Saturday, a celebration of the end of slavery for African Americans and a celebration of their ancestors who, despite many obstacles, kept reaching for freedom. “This day is intended to promote cultural togetherness, harmonious living across cultures, cooperative ...
June 16, 2013 - Lake County News-Sun
- Juneteenth celebrates freedom from slavery in U.S.
Tuesday, June 19th the Grand Island YWCA will be hosting a luncheon to commemorate Juneteenth. This is the day in 1865 when the last of the slaves in the United States were finally released from slavery nearly two and one-half years after President Lincoln had signed the Emancipation Proclamation. Juneteenth is observed across the United States, and for many African Americans, it is a day ...
June 16, 2013 - Grand Island Independent
- Sepp Blatter in guardian.co.uk
There's too much modern slavery, in transferring players or buying players. We are trying now to intervene in such cases,Blatter said yesterday. "The reaction to the Bosman law is to make long-lasting contracts to keep the players, and...
- Bob McDonnell in CNN (blog)
The failure to include any reference to slavery was a mistake, and for that I apologize to any fellow Virginian who has been offended or disappointed,McDonnell said in a written statement. "The abomination of slavery divided our nation,...
- Joe Zawinul in International Herald Tribune
When this country belatedly recognized the wrongs of slavery there were those who dug in their heels and said, 'Slow down, it's too early. Let's wait. Things aren't bad enough'; When this body was on the verge of guaranteeing equal civil rights to... Harry Reid http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Reid&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGP_5PNs1MQ0kTh3aND3oL4AP8hsA Seattle Times http://www.google.com/url?q=http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/edcetera/2010477131_sen_reids_mispeak_or_honest_sp.html%3Fprmid%3Dop_ed&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFrD486RL_xJo-K8hjg_qfbDWYSOQ Dec 10, 2009
90935 121028 slavic One thing about Viennese musicians, they can really groove, more than even the German bands can," Zawinul said in a 2007 Downbeat magazine interview. "It's something in our nature, perhaps. We're cosmopolitan and interracial - Czech, Slavic,...